Looking a way out of how to Convert EDB to PST! Not to worry, the write-up is discussed with multiple solutions, three are the manual method and another one is a third party direct EDB to PST Converter that can directly and successfully batches convert EDB to Outlook with emails, contacts, calendar, notes, tasks, etc. without data loss.
Exchange Server is one of the popular globally used emailing servers among individuals and professionals. It makes use of the EDB file to keep all associated Exchange mailbox items such as emails, calendar, contacts, tasks, etc. In addition, EDB is completely dependent on Exchange Server. In other words, to access the EDB mailbox folder, it is necessary to have a configuration of Exchange on the system. Therefore, if a user wants to read data of EDB mailbox without Exchange, then it is important to do the conversion of EDB file into PST. And, most of the users are finding a solution for the same. Thus, in the segment, we have discussed multiple techniques that can solve the issue of “how to Convert EDB to PST?” However, first, let us know more reasons behind this conversion.
Also, Read – Convert EML to PDF
Why Export EDB to PST?
There are numerous reasons when a user wants to open an EDB file in Outlook. Some of them are as listed below:
- Need to access EDB files without connectivity of server.
- When Exchange Server taking time in maintenance.
- Enhance the usability of the EDB file in the outside environment.
- Exchange Server corrupt and want to retrieve EDB database.
- Change of organization that is using MS Outlook, not Exchange Server.
How to Convert EDB to PST?
We have discussed the reasons in the above section that tells why it becomes a necessity to open EDB file in Outlook. Now, let us just focus on how to Convert EDB to PST. There are multiple techniques exists that can help to open EDB file in Outlook 2019 and earlier editions:
- Using ExMerge Utility
- With EMS (Exchange Management Shell)
- Using EAC (Exchange Admin Center)
Method 1. Export EDB to PST using ExMerge Utility
ExMerge is free to use utility offered by Microsoft. It helps to convert Exchange DB files and facilitate to open of the same in MS Outlook. The utility can move multiple EDB mailboxes. It prevents duplicity and provides brick-level backup. Follow the steps and check how to export EDB to PST:
- Launch and open the ExMerge utility on the system. Hit the Next button to proceed.
- A Procedure Selection Window will appear, select Extract or Import (Two Step Procedure), and click Next.
- From the Two-Step Procedure window, choose Extract data from an Exchange Server Mailbox option and again press Next.
- Provide related credentials of Exchange Server from where one needs to extract the data. Now, click Next and continue. In addition, you can use the Options button to configure message selection criteria.
- Note: From Data Selection Criteria Window, navigate to the Import Procedure tab. Choose option Archive data to the target store and hit OK.
- In the Mailbox Selection dialogue box, select desired mailboxes to export. Now, use Select All/Deselect All for easy selection. Click Next to continue.
- In the Target Directory dialogue box, specify the destination path. Use option Change Folder to modify default folder destination path. Hit Next to start the export process.
- Export progress now appeared by the utility. After completion, press Finish ending the process.
Now, the EDB file data moved to the PST file. The process can be implemented but equipped with some limitations that are discussed in the next section.
Drawbacks of ExMerge Utility
The ExMerge utility can convert and open EDB file in Outlook but possessed with some risk and drawbacks:
- Consumes a lot of time to export.
- Lengthy and complex process.
- High risk of loss of data.
- Not able to move more than 2GB data.
- Works easily with earlier Exchange versions.
Method 2. Convert EDB to PST using Exchange Management Shell
EMS i.e. Exchange Management Shell has a command-line interface useful for Exchange database accessibility, get its status, and perform desired changes. Follow the below steps to open the EDB file in Outlook using EMS:
Step 1. Run the given below command and access the mailbox list saved in the database:
Step 2. Run the given below command to open the EDB file in Outlook:
Step 3. Run the given below command to check mailbox export request status:
Step 4: After the process of export completes, now run the below command to cancel the export request:
By making use of these commands, one can export single EDB mailbox data. Similarly, you can perform the task with other mailboxes.
Method 3. Export EDB to PST using Exchange Admin Center
If you are searching for the direct process to export/open EDB file in Outlook, follow the steps of this manual method given below:
- Login to EAC (Exchange Admin Center) as administrator. Navigate to the Permissions tab and hit admin roles.
- Choose the Recipient Management option appearing under Admin Roles.
- A Role Group window will display, click (+) addition icon present under Roles option.
- Now, the Select a Role window will pop-up, go to the Display Name drop-down button and choose Mailbox Import Export role, and press add button. Once done, click OK.
- Mailbox Import Export successfully added under Recipient Management.
- Add desired mailboxes to export into PST in the group.
- Under Exchange admin center, click recipients and desired mailbox to move to PST. Hit on more (…) and choose the Export to a PST file option.
- Browse desired path to save the resultant file and press Next to continue.
In just a few minutes, the content will successfully move from EDB to PST.
The blog has discussed multiple methods that can help to solve “how to Convert EDB to PST”. All the three methods provided above are tested. No need to worry!.