OST files are the Outlook offline data file which is a copy of the items present on the exchange server of MS Outlook. This allows users to work in the unavailability of the Internet. Moreover, whatever changes users make during offline mode get synchronized with the Exchange Server automatically when the user is back online.
Recommended Tool – OST to PST Converter
In order to access the OST files, MS Outlook must be connected to the Exchange Server. There might be chances that users face a situation when there is no internet connection and they need to access OST files. So, here in this article, I will be telling you about the ways to open an OST file without an Exchange server. So, let’s get started.
Why We are Unable to Open OST File Without Exchange Account?
There are multiple problems such as corruption issues, inaccessibility issues which may halter Outlook to open the OST file without an exchange account.
- Virus or Malware attacks: Viruses are a major threat as they can damage the Exchange Server database and make it unusable. Thus, making the OST file inaccessible and orphaned.
- Abrupt system shutdown: Abrupt shutdown or power failure of the Exchange server while accessing the databases may cause damage to the databases.
- Accidental deletion of Outlook Account: Accidental deletion of a mailbox on the Exchange server, on which the OST file was created, can result in this problem.
Manual Technique to Open OST files Without Exchange Server
Here, I will tell you a unique and easy way to sort such issues. You just have to recreate the OST file and that would help you to access the data.
How to Recreate OST files Manually
You can view the file by downloading it from the server. To do so, just follow the below steps:
- First of all, close MS Outlook.
- After that, open the Control Panel.
- Next, select the “Mail” Option.
- A “Mail Setup” dialog box will appear on the page.
- Click on the “Email Accounts” option.
- You will see a Dialog Box Named “Account Setting” on the screen.
- Now go to the “Data Files” tab and choose your account.
- Then, choose the OST file and then click on “Open File Location”
- Right-click on that OST file and Delete it.
Note – Just make sure before deleting the OST file, close Account Settings, and Mail Setup Window, or else you will face an error.
- Finally, open the Outlook Application Again.
Doing this will automatically create a new OST file by downloading all the data from Exchange Server. You have to keep in mind that if you are using MS Outlook 2010 then it doesn’t support manual opening and importing of items from an OST file.
So, by using the above method, you will be able to view and open OST file without exchange server. But one can only try these steps when the exchange server and Outlook Account are properly synced.
Also, Read – How to Convert OST to PST in Outlook 2016
I hope the above-mentioned methods in this article are sufficient for you to “open OST file without Exchange Server”. If you are not able to open the ost file without an exchange then the tool which is recommended above must be the ultimate solution to use.