Today, with this article I am going to show how to repair corrupt exchange database with the help of effortless and effective techniques.
Microsoft Exchange is a mail server that mainly runs only on Windows Server OS. Basically, it uses client-server architecture for its work. So, whenever any type of data corruption takes place on Exchange Server, it may affect all the associated users. Therefore it is necessary to repair the Exchange mailbox as soon as possible when corruption occurs in it. So, in this technical blog post, I will describe how to repair corrupt Exchange database in a proficient manner.
Also, Read – Outlook Vs Lotus Notes
Some major causes of Exchange database corruption
- Virus attack.
- User error.
- Abrupt shutdown.
- Application malfunction.
- Error in database objects.
- Improper changes in the database schema.
Let’s see the methods to Repair Corrupt Exchange Database.
How to Repair corrupt exchange database Manually?
The Exchange server comes in different versions and the manual method to repair the Exchange database is different for all versions. Therefore, Here you will get a complete guide for all versions to repair corrupt exchange database manually.
Approach1. Using Eseutil utility
Eseutil is a inbuilt utility within the Exchange Server that is useful for restoring corrupted databases, defragmenting them, verifying the integrity of databases, and reducing size.
This tool located by default in Exchange 2013/2016 is given below:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin
There are several procedures to repair and recover it using the Eseutil tool. Perform the following actions using multiple switches –
- Repair the Exchange database – eseutil /p
- Defragment the Exchange database –eseutil /d
- Restore the Exchange database – eseutil /r
- Check the checksum in the Exchange database – eseutil /k
- Verify the integrity of Exchange database – eseutil /g
- Hard recovery of Exchange Database– eseutil /c
- Exhibit the headers, logs or checkpoint files – eseutil /m
- Backup Exchange database and log files – eseutil /y
Steps to Defragment the database using ESEUTIL
Notice: Before this process make sure you have saved the backup in case of emergency.
1. Initially, dismount the database from Exchange by below command:
Dismount-Database –Identity <name of the database>
2. Then run the Eseutil /d command as given below:
eseutil /d <name of the database> /T <location of temporary path>
3. After running the above commands, mount the database back to Exchange by following commands below:
Mount-Database –Identity <name of the database>
4. Afterward, repair the database using Eseutil /p command executed below:
eseutil /p <location of the database>
5. At last, to fix the errors in the database, run the new-mailbox repair request command as given below:
New-MailboxRepairRequest -Database <name of the database> -CorruptionType <type of corruption>
6. These commands can also help in solving other Exchange Database file issues.
Approach 2. Verify Application Logs
The actual cause can be detected by application log files to repair corrupt exchange database. To verify application logs go to the following steps below:
- Navigate to Start >>Programs>> Application Tools>> Event Viewer.
- Choose System Log in the Console Tree.
- Hit on Source in the details panel to find the proper entrance for any of the Exchange services to sort the log in alphabetical order.
- So, to open the properties page, double click the log entry to recover corrupted mailbox exchange.
- Then choose Filter to filter log in View menu and show entries for particular SMTP.
- Go to the System Log Properties and under the Event Source list, choose SMTPSVC. Then in the Category list, a definite set of events.
- At last, hit on Ok.
Microsoft Exchange Server is an outstanding platform to manage the emails in an organization. However, when its mailbox got corrupted, the entire structure gets disturbed. Therefore, in this post, we have discussed all the possible solutions in order to repair corrupt exchange database without any trouble.